National Park Service Centennial
- Posted On
- Nov 28, 2015
CENTENNIAL PLANNING BRIEFING STATEMENT
NPS Centennial Goal: Connect with and create the next generation of park visitors, supporters, and advocates.
Grand Teton Centennial Coordinator: Kristen Dragoo, [email protected], 307-739-3349
Party for our National Parks, October 3, 2015:
Co-hosted by Jackson Hole Wildlife Film Festival and the National Parks Conservation Association, the day’s events will include films that inspire conversation about park issues as well as hands-on demonstrations and activities from park rangers and organizations that help protect the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem. The feature film will be Yellowstone from National Geographic by Brain Farm Digital Cinema.
Mountains to Main Street: Urban Ambassador Summit and Outreach Program, January 10-16, 2016
During the week-long Mountains to Main Street summit in Grand Teton National Park, interns will learn leadership and outreach skills so they can return to their urban homes to do outreach for the National Park Service. The internship program is part of a nationwide Urban Agenda that connects underserved urban populations to the natural and historical resources preserved in national parks. Partners will include Teton Science School, Groundworks USA, the Student Conservation Association, Grand Teton National Park Foundation (GTNPF) and Grand Teton Association.
National Park Week, April 18-26, 2016:
The week will feature a variety of special events – feature speakers, movies, and special field trips for 4th graders. The week will end with a Junior Ranger Day event with special programs, games and musical guests designed for elementary-aged children and their family.
Week of Founders Day August 21-27, 2016:
Founders Week will include a variety of celebrations, special programs, and musical guests throughout the week. Among other special guests will be University of the Wilderness:A Narrative Concert about the Life and Writings of John Muir, . The park will celebrate the culmination of Inspiring Journeys, Grand Teton National Park Foundation’s capital campaign to support the Jenny Lake Trail Renewal Project.
On-Going Events & Initiatives:
- Find Your Park launched April 2015 with a virtual tour of national parks (that highlighted Grand Teton) and various events and media efforts that will continue through 2016. The national initiatives help communicate the variety of opportunities and treasures protected in the National Park System for people of all backgrounds. Grand Teton is participating in this initiative through social media and other means.
- Every Kid in a Park: The park will host a wide variety of 4th grade field trips and programs including the distance learning broadcast Snow Desk, the geology field trip Rock the Tetons, and the snow science field trip Weather Wonders. As part of this national initiative, families with 4th graders will be able to download a voucher for a free pass to all National Parks for the year of 2016.
- The Latino Stories Project: The park will collaborate with community partners, including and Wyoming Humanities Council and Teton County Library, for a series of events that capture the Latino story, locally and nationally. Events will include showing the PBS films Prejudice & Pride and Peril & Promise, a photo exhibit, highlights of Latino stories in the national parks, and guest speakers throughout the fall and winter of 2015-2016.
- Culmination of the nationwide effort A Class Act: The park completes four years of special initiatives for the local Class of 2016. The initiative has so far included scholarship competitions, a career day, internship opportunities, and special field trips on science and ecology. In the final year, the park will a multi-day curriculum on outdoor leadership.
- During the summer of 2016, visitors can look for centennial-themed interpretive programs through the summer, especially during Founders Week.
Grand Teton Association:
- Plein Air for the Park”, July 2016
- Youth specific events during Artists, Writers, and Photographers in the Park programs, summer 2016
- New centennial-branded products,