Eastern Idaho has over 1800 miles of groomed trails, numerous off-load areas and quaint warming huts, as well as endless breathtaking open ridges, meadows, scenery, and wildlife. Learn More
Getting to Know the Yellowstone Teton Territory Idaho Falls
- Posted On
- Oct 20, 2015
- Places Near Yellowstone
On the banks of the Snake River at the foot of west slope of the northern Rockies lies Idaho Falls Idaho a beautiful farming, ranching, and high tech community. As a gateway community to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National parks and a hub for the best wild trout fishing in the lower 48 states Idaho Falls is also a great recreational community.
Idaho Falls is the county seat and largest city of Bonneville County, Idaho, United States. As of the 2000 Census the population of Idaho Falls was 50,730, with a metro population of 119,396. (2006 estimate: 52,786).
Idaho Falls is the second largest city in the Eastern Idaho region. Its estimated 2006 population falls short of Pocatello by only 1,146 persons. Idaho Falls is the principal city of and is included in the Idaho Falls, Idaho Metropolitan Statistical Area, which is included in the Idaho Falls-Blackfoot, Idaho Combined Statistical Area. Idaho Falls is the third largest metropolitan area in the state behind the Boise City-Nampa and Coeur d'Alene metropolitan areas. It is the largest metropolitan area of the Eastern Idaho region. The city is served by the Idaho Falls Regional Airport and is home to the Idaho Falls Chukars minor league baseball team.
Idaho FallsWhat became Idaho Falls was originally the site of Taylor’s Crossing, a timber frame bridge built across the Snake River. The bridge was built by Matt Taylor, a freighter, who, in 1865, built a toll bridge across a narrow black basaltic gorge of the river that succeeded a ferry nine miles upstream by a few years. Taylor’s bridge served the new tide of westward migration and travel in the region that followed the military suppression of Shoshone resistance at the Bear River Massacre near Preston, Idaho in 1863.
The bridge-improved travel for settlers moving for miners, freighters, and others seeking riches in the gold fields of central Idaho and western Montana. A private bank a hotel, a livery stable, and a roadhouse also sprang up at the bridge in 1865. By 1866, the emerging town had a stage station and mail service postmarked “Eagle Rock” as the area was already known by the name of the earlier ferry crossing upstream and to the north called Eagle Rock. The town changed its name to Eagle Rock in 1872 after the rock island in the river that was the nesting site for numerous eagles seven miles north.
Originally posted at http://www.greater-yellowstone.com/Idaho-Falls/