From the most avid outdoors-man to dignitaries, fly fishing in Eastern Idaho is second to none. Occasional fly fishing tournaments and national exposure is not uncommon to Eastern Idaho's fly fishing rivers. Learn More
North Hi-Way Cafe
- 460 Northgate Mile
Idaho Falls, Idaho 83401
- American Casual
Back when the cafe first started it was know as the "flivver" shop. The shop was owned by Aaron Jones, he would setup tables in his garage so his customers could have a bite to eat while waiting for their Model A's to be fixed. Over time, the garage evolved into a full-time eatery that spanned the test of time, wars and depressions to eventually be proclaimed Idaho's oldest continually running cafe as officially noted by researchers at the state capital and celebrated by a city proclamation on June 17, 2009.
According to the Boise researchers, archives show the cafe opened on June 17, 1934 and through some of the exact timeline is a bit blurred, there have been three primary owners including partners Everett and Edna Morgan and Loren and Louse Schultz's; Evan and Theo Cropper who purchased the Schultz's interest in 1940 and become sole owners in the 1952. Lavar "Butch" and Darlene Warren who purchased it in 1972, running it for three decades before finally selling to the current owners Roxanne and Wesley Smith. The Smith's have ran the cafe over the last decade and also run several other establishments in Idaho Falls.
Although the official hours at 5 a.m. until 10 p.m., baking starts at 3:30 a.m. with a continual flow of patrons coming into the seventy seat diner, breakfast flowing into lunch and lunch into dinner. In addition the North HI-Way is also well-know for its outside catering. With caterings going out the old doors daily. The Smiths employ an average of fifty people, many of who have been with the cafe for several decades. Many patrons have been coming in for just as long or longer. You can read about the North Hi-Way Cafe if you pickup the book, Historic Bonneville County by Mary Jane Fritzen.